Saturday, October 16, 2010

Weekly Wrap-up, 10/11- 10/15


Nature Journal: pumpkin in our backyard


Language Lessons...



Cursive

We had a pretty busy week. I was feeling pretty under the weather, run-down, etc. We got through the week and I think it went smoothly. The first 2 days, I let Half-Pint pick what she wanted to work on. The "picking" was an issue. While I know that this works for some children, it certainly doesn't work for HP. She needs structure at this point and likes to go by a "list". I still limited her time, so she wouldn't get bored on each subject. If she didn't finish her work in the allotted time, I let her finish it off later in the afternoon. School just seemed more enjoyable by the end of the week.

As I posted before, I've been reading Pocketful of Pinecones, and I just adore it. I've been more convicted about the kids' outside time. While I do see the importance of free time out of doors, I wanted them to be more intentional about looking around them as they are outside. There were a few days where I had to force them to stay outside for more than 5 minutes at a time. I wanted to lock the backdoor, but figured that'd be wrong... it would've been wrong, RIGHT?!?!?! ;) Either way, they spent some time out there and even sketched a little bit for their nature journals. :D!!

Half-Pint is moving along nicely with her work. She enjoys her Language Lessons from Queen's Homeschool Supplies. The lessons are long enough to keep the child engaged, and short enough that they won't get bored or frustrated with the work. HP also LOVES her cursive book and so do I. Although, with Farmer Boy, I may use Cursive first to go along with SWR, but we'll see. I still have a few years for that!

We just finished reading about Pocahontas, Jamestown, and Captain John Smith. I now love history. I hated it when I was in school... but wow... it's just so fun!

Sarcasm warning: THANK YOU, Disney... for completely screwing up the Pocahontas story! hahahaha

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment